Locker No. 29 in the Seattle Seahawks | Forum

Topic location: Forum home » General » General Chat
laiyongcai92
laiyongcai92 Apr 12

locker room was once again occupied Wednesday after being vacant the entire offseason.Earl Thomas was back after ending his lengthy holdout. His Instagram post on Wednesday morning announcing his return made it clear Thomas wasn't happy or satisfied. But he was present Ahkello Witherspoon Jersey , giving the Seahawks a major boost heading into the start of the regular season."He's been with us for so long. He's just been part of the fabric of what we've been about," Seattle coach Pete Carroll said. "It's an adjustment period as he jumps in with us right now and we'll figure out how that works. ... I don't have any thought about what to share with you right now because we have to see what he does and how he feels and all that stuff, but it's great to have him back."Thomas' return to the Seahawks facility was a welcome moment for the team and ended a long offseason of drama centered on whether he would play out the final season of his contract, receive the contract extension he hoped for, or possibly be traded. Thomas' reaction to the lack of a resolution was clear in his post: "The disrespect has been noted and will not be forgotten."He's not happy, but he wasn't about to sacrifice a $500,000 game check or leave his teammates without one of their most important defensive leaders. Thomas wrote he's never let his "teammates, city or fans down as long as I have lived and don't plan to start this weekend."But he was quick to add he's got plenty of good years remaining after his current contract expires."Father Time may have an undefeated record but best believe I plan on taking him into triple overtime when it comes to my career," Thomas wrote.Thomas did not speak with reporters Wednesday. Carroll would not commit to whether Thomas would play against Denver on Sunday in the opener. Seattle received a roster exemption from the league to allow Thomas to practice.Not surprisingly, Thomas seemed to be universally embraced upon his return, both as the longest-tenured Seahawks player and for the on-field boost he can give to Seattle's overhauled defense. Doug Baldwin said he ran up and gave Thomas a hug when he saw him in a team meeting. Defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. joked he became a better coach.Linebacker Bobby Wagner understood the dynamics of Thomas' situation."I think football is football, business is business. That's coach Carroll and John Schneider, that's business," Wagner said. "At the end of the day you can't really hate a person for wanting to provide for his family. That's how I look at it. He's been playing at a high level, he wanted more money. That's kind of on them."Thomas is a three-time first-team All-Pro and was the anchor for the Seattle defense that appeared in consecutive Super Bowls, winning the first. Aside from suffering a broken leg late in the 2016 season, Thomas has been a durable starter from the time he arrived in the league. He has missed just seven regular-season games in his career.His holdout was based on seeking certainty for the long term. He asked for a trade if Seattle wasn't willing to give him a contract extension. The idea of a trade, for now, was squashed by Carroll on Wednesday when he said: "He's a Seahawk. He's always been and will be one forever."The reality is Thomas will be an unrestricted free agent next spring just before his 30th birthday. In a post for The Players' Tribune earlier this summer, Thomas wrote that he was shaken by the injuries suffered by Richard Sherman and Kam Chancellor — two other members of Seattle's "Legion of Boom" secondary — in a Thursday night game last season. Sherman ruptured his Achilles tendon, ending his season, and Chancellor suffered a neck injury. Sherman was released by Seattle in the offseason and signed with San Francisco. Chancellor — while not officially retired — is not expected to play again because of the injury.Clearly, Thomas wants security, but he's putting aside his desires for now.With Thomas out, Seattle has used Tedric Thompson as its primary free safety. Thompson missed the final preseason game with a shoulder stinger and rib injury suffered a week earlier, but was in line to start the opener. If Thomas is ready to play, he'll team with Bradley McDougald at strong safety. The pair played together for the latter half of last season following Chancellor's injury."I feel like we figured it out pretty well," McDougald said. "We ended up getting a good connection, a good relationship between us and I feel like we're going to pick up where we left off." Marlin Briscoe didn't want to be pigeonholed simply because of stereotypes against black men. He was a star quarterback in college and he believed he had the talent, intelligence and leadership skills to be one in the pros.Fifty years ago, during an era of massive social upheaval in the United States, just getting a chance to prove it took a risky ultimatum.Briscoe refused to switch positions after being drafted as a cornerback by the Denver Broncos, telling his team that he'd return home to become a teacher if he couldn't get a tryout at quarterback. Denver agreed to an audition, and that season the 5-foot-10 dynamo nicknamed "The Magician" became the first black quarterback to start a game in the American Football League."It's just so many different historic things that happened in the year 1968, it was unfathomable," Briscoe said. "It just seemed poetic justice, so to speak, that the color barrier be broken that year at that position. For some reason DeForest Buckner Jersey , I was ordained to be the litmus test for that. I think I did a good job."Briscoe's groundbreaking accomplishments were somewhat lost in the shuffle during one of the most transformative years in U.S. history. Civil rights activist Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., and presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy were assassinated in 1968. Civil rights riots broke out across the country and there were numerous protests of the Vietnam War. And less than two weeks after Briscoe's first start, U.S. track and field stars Tommie Smith and John Carlos raised black-gloved fists on the medal stand at the Olympics to protest America's social injustices.But Briscoe's legacy resonates among his contemporaries 50 years later, hitting on race as well as the pressures athletes face in pro sports. The Pro Football Hall of Fame calls Briscoe the first African-American starting quarterback in modern pro football history. Carolina's Cam Newton and Seattle's Russell Wilson have both considered Briscoe's past as they contend for championships.Doug Williams, the first black quarterback to win a Super Bowl, counts Briscoe as one of his most important inspirations."I know the little bit that I had to go through, so I can imagine what he had to go through," said Williams, who won the 1988 Super Bowl with Washington. "People were a little more accepted when I came through than when he came through."Wilson and Newton can relate to Briscoe's resistance to switch from quarterback. Both dealt with being steered toward other positions."I had a couple opportunities —well I wouldn't say opportunities, I think quarterback's the opportunity I wanted — but more so, people wanted to change me to play defensive back," Wilson said. "Even my freshman year in college. But I had other plans, and I guess God had other plans."Though he's happy more black athletes are playing quarterback at the professional level, Briscoe sees parallels with his experiences even five decades years later. Last week, a white Texas school superintendent resigned after posting on Facebook that "You can't count on a black quarterback," while talking about Houston quarterback Deshaun Watson."It's unfortunate because in sports is the one realm in which race, you forget about it for the good of the outcome of a game or whatever you have from a sports standpoint," Briscoe said. "To have that broken with attitudes like that from an executive — it's mind boggling. It hurts. It really does."GETTING ON THE FIELDBriscoe said the pedestal for quarterbacks in the hierarchy of sports made his quest about much more than football."People of color were only expected to reach certain heights in life," Briscoe, now 73, told The Associated Press. "In my particular instance, it was the packing house. They (white people) thought that was our end-all, be-all. It came back to my wanting to play that position."Though Briscoe starred at Omaha University and eventually landed in the College Football Hall of Fame, the odds were stacked against him in Denver. He was drafted as a cornerback in the 14th round, and during his three-day tryout, Briscoe started last among the eight quarterbacks during drills."When it got to me, all of a sudden, the reps got shorter. Instead of 10 reps, I got five," he said. "So I made sure that all of my passes were completions with zip on the ball. When it came to the long bomb, I'd wait till the receiver would get damn near out of sight. They couldn't believe a kid this small could throw the ball that far."Though the AFL was considered more progressive than the rival National Football League, a black man didn't play quarterback in a regular-season game until its ninth season.Briscoe broke through helped by injuries and erratic play. He eventually stepped in for the Broncos as a reserve on Sept. 29, 1968, nearly leading a comeback against the Boston Patriots. He earned the next start against the Cincinnati Bengals, making him the first black quarterback to start in the AFL.Briscoe started five games that season and was runner-up for AFL rookie of the year, attracting strong crowds to games and energizing a franchise that had yet to establish a winning tradition.But when the games ended, reminders of racism came quickly."Here you are just playing a professional football game and endeared by the public as an athlete Jimmy Garoppolo Jersey , then you go to a restaurant and you can't get something to eat," Briscoe said. "Those were the times that we lived in."Despite his electrifying season — he passed for 1,589 yards and 14 touchdowns and ran for 308 yards and three scores — Denver didn't give him a chance to compete for the quarterback job in 1969. He said he was never given a reason why, so he asked to be released."The more I've known him and been around him and talked to him, you've got to give him respect for what he did during that time and what happened to him after that time," Williams said. "That's the part that gets me. But that's the time he was in."Briscoe headed briefly to British Columbia but decided Canadian football wasn't for him. He returned to the United States and was picked up by Buffalo. He became a Pro Bowl receiver with the Bills and won two Super Bowls with the Miami Dolphins.Briscoe played on the 1972 Dolphins team that had a perfect season. But he never started at quarterback after 1968.MENTORING HARRISAs a senior at Grambling, James Harris kept up with Briscoe's 1968 season by going to the library to look up his statistics.As fate would have it, Buffalo drafted Harris as a quarterback in 1969, putting him on the same team as Briscoe. It was Harris who became the AFL's first black quarterback to open the season as a starter, and he said his roommate Briscoe was a critical mentor."We used to talk a lot about the dos and don'ts and things that he had been through. He was telling me the things I needed to be prepared for," Harris said. "I felt that Marlin was the only person on the team that understood what I was going through."That included death threats, Briscoe said. "We had the race card on our careers because we were the first," he said.Harris refused to show the Bills the full range of his athletic ability because Tennessee State's Eldridge Dickey and Michigan State's Jimmy Raye, two quarterbacks he considered capable, were drafted in 1968 and forced to switch positions.Grambling coach Eddie Robinson noticed the trend and told Harris not to run the 40-yard dash for scouts. The Bills still wanted him to practice at receiver while learning to play quarterback, and Harris responded by running less than full speed in drills."I knew they were looking for the opportunity to switch me, and I didn't want to face that," he said. "So when we're out there just working out, if anybody was around, I didn't want anybody to think about my speed."Harris blossomed at quarterback. In 1974, he played for the Los Angeles Rams and became the first black quarterback to win an NFL playoff game. He also was Pro Bowl MVP that year.GROWTH OF BLACK QUARTERBACKSThe list of prominent black quarterbacks eventually grew.Warren Moon is in the Hall of Fame. Steve McNair was the first black quarterback to be named NFL MVP. Michael Vick is the NFL's all-time rushing leader for quarterbacks. Randall Cunningham, one of the most electrifying players in NFL history, was a first-team All-Pro twice. Wilson became the second black quarterback to win a Super Bowl.Newton said the strategy of the position itself has shifted dramatically along with racial dynamics."It doesn't even have to be African-American," said Newton, who met with Briscoe at a quarterback camp about 10 years ago. "The quarterback position is kind of molding and changing over the years. You see the Carson Wentzes taking a more athletic approach to that position and making it more dynamic for teams to prepare for."Briscoe said more work needs to be done both in the league and society. He has noticed that Colin Kaepernick has not been given a contract since his decision to kneel during "The Star Spangled Banner" to protest racial and social inequality. He believes President Donald Trump, who has been an outspoken critic of Kaepernick and other black NFL players who have protested to draw attention to issues like incarceration and the shootings of unarmed black men by police, also bears some responsibility for the Watson quip and others like it.Trump's rhetoric toward people of color, Briscoe says, has made some people feel safe expressing overt racism. After all these years, Briscoe still sees shades of his old struggles."I grew up in the '50s and the '60s, when all that stuff was rampant, but you knew where you stood," Briscoe said. "Today, you thought that all those attitudes were nonexistent or filtered away to some degree, but with the Trump-isms, his philosophy has brought out of the woodwork that old-time thought process. That's scary — it really is."Follow Cliff Brunt on Twitter: CliffBruntAP

HELP KEEP ADVERTISING FREE! The search engines, Google, Bing, etc. who make money from advertising, refuse to give a fair listing and ranking to this site. This is a form of censorship and unfair business practice by those large corporations who control the gateways to the Internet for their profit. If you want free advertising and believe in an open Internet for everyone, you can help to spread the word by sharing Mysittingbourne.co.uk on social media. You will benefit by increasing the number of people who see your messages!

Pay with BtcPay, Self-Hosted Bitcoin Payment Processor

Please support this free ads service. Enter your donation amount above in US$ and click Donate button. It takes you to BTCPay to pay in Bitcoin. Keep advertising free for users of Mysittingbourne.co.uk!

It also helps keep Bitcoin money decentralised, because BTCPay contains a full node for validating each payment. You do not need to trust a centralised light weight wallet, third party or bank with your money. We can help you set up BTCPay for your website too, just contact us!

BTCPay

Why Your Business Should Use a Full Node to Accept Bitcoin
GET A FREE WEEK ON VPNhub PREMIUM
Be Your Own Bank
BITCOIN ECONOMICS HAS NOT CHANGED. UNDERSTAND THE ECONOMICS AND DECIDE WHAT TO DO NEXT. CLICK THE GRAPH TO SEE DETAILED VIEW.

Bitcoin economics has not changed

HERE IS AN ALTERNATIVE ESTIMATE OF BITCOIN PRICE DEVELOPMENT. WHICH MODEL IS CORRECT? TIME WILL TELL! CLICK THE GRAPH TO SEE DETAILED VIEW.

Alternative model of Bitcoin price development
Bitcoin (BTC) is the people's money, owned by the people for the people. Not by a bank or country. What are you waiting for?

It gives you control of your money (individual sovereignty). Preserve your savings; they will increase in value over time. Easily send money anywhere. Government's can't take it! What are you waiting for? Get a free Bitcoin wallet today or, run your own full node.

If you do not know where to start, install a Mycelium or, Electrum wallet.

Jameson Lopp video explaining advantages of running your own Bitcoin Full Node, click here

Jimmy Song video explaining advantages of running your own Bitcoin Full Node, click here

Run your own Full Node and help the Bitcoin (BTC) network. Be Your Own Bank! There are currently (May 2018) about 138,000 full nodes globally. About 10,000 of these are listening for outside connections on the P2P network.

As people suddenly realise they don’t own their data on Facebook, how will they react when they realise they don't own the money in their bank accounts either?

The good news is government can't take your Bitcoin in your own full node. Not by legalised theft (inflation), nor by government bail ins. Realise that fiat money, $, €, ¥, £, yuan, Venezuelan Bolívar, Argentine Peso, Zimbabwean Dollar, etc. is crashing! In the last 100 years, all fiat currencies have lost 97-99% of their purchasing power, reducing your standard of living.

EVER WONDERED WHY EVERYTHING IS SO EXPENSIVE?

What is a Full Node?

Download Bitcoin Core

Instructions for running your Full Node of Bitcoin Core

Instructions for running your Bitcoin Full Node under Tor for anonymity, privacy and security of your money in your own bank.

With a Full Node behind the Tor network, your Full Node is difficult to trace.

You also can use a VPN for encryption of your Bitcoin transactions (can be used with or without Tor).

For VPN, the PCMAG Editor's Choice is NordVPN, click here.NordVPN

With a Bitcoin Full Node protected by VPN and / or Tor, you have complete control of your own private electronic bank. Anonymous like cash, but electronic, instant, unlimited by space time and appreciating in value.

Live map showing reachable nodes in listening mode on the Bitcoin network. Add yours to the map!

Video explaining The Halving (Litecoin/Bitcoin). Another reason why Bitcoin and Litecoin prices will increase significantly!
Keybase chat crypto for everyone download now
Advertise here
Bitcoin transactions in real time, live from the blockchain:

For an imaginative audio visualisation of the Bitcoin blockchain from www.bitlisten.com, see bottom of Mysittingbourne home page here. The base sound announces the creation of another block. A block is like a page in a book or ledger. Unlike a database that can be altered, it is a permanent, incorruptible record of value transactions on the blockchain. Pure mathematical truth!

Bitcoin digital gold

As more and more people are turning to physical gold, so they are turning to Bitcoin digital gold.

Bitcoin is trustless and decentralised. Like gold, it has limited supply. It can never be over-printed and devalued by a government. You can transfer funds anywhere, almost instantaneously and at much lower cost than bank transfer.

Don't have a bank account? Want to spend your Bitcoin anywhere that accepts bank cards? Want to use an ATM to access your Bitcoin in local currencies? No problem! Spend your Bitcoin with a Visa debit card accepted almost anywhere.
Click here and sign up for your Bitcoin Visa debit card from SpectroCoin.

The SpectroCoin debit card is recommended by WeUseCoins. Click here to see their comparison of Bitcoin debit cards.

If you do not know about Bitcoin, a good place to start is by getting a free wallet from Coinbase.com,
Blockchain.info, or Copay.io.

bitcoin price chart

Physical Gold

BullionVault

Protect yourself and family from central bank currency debasement and inflation in asset prices, housing, food. There are rising levels of financial, economic and geopolitical risk in the world. In the last 100 years, all currencies have lost 97-99% of their purchasing power. Some believe that the final move to zero will take place in the next few years.

Currency debasement through money printing is the destruction of fiat money purchasing power - $, €, ¥, £, yuan, Venezuelan Bolívar, Argentine Peso, Zimbabwean Dollar...

True inflation and cost of living is currently 8% higher than the government reports. Real wages are falling rapidly and most people are taking out more and more debt to make ends meet. Only the wealthy minority and banks benefit from the current system.

Protect yourself. Buy physical, allocated gold, silver, platinum online and store it in safe vaults outside your jurisdiction (Switzerland, UK, USA, Canada and Singapore) or, at home. Physical gold has limited supply. Buy before the panic!

Look what happened in Cyprus (2013), Greece (2015) and Spain (Catalonia 2017). The lesson is that the money in your bank account is not really yours. It can be taken or frozen by the government just when you need it. Maybe it is not a good idea to keep too much money in the bank, especially when the next financial crisis comes!

BullionVault

BullionVault is the world's largest online investment gold service taking care of $2 billion for more than 65,000 users. Even small amounts of metal can be bought and they have the lowest costs.

Click here BullionVault